Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Origami Christmas Box







Every year for Christmas, I make Peanut Butter Balls. I got the recipe from my mom. She has been making them for several years so when I needed Christmas gift ideas she suggested that I make her peanut butter balls. Of course they were a huge hit with my husband's family members. So now it is "expected" at Christmas time. I have been asked to make them at other times of the year but I just let them know that it is a Christmas treat ONLY.

So the peanut butter balls are the inspiration for my project today. I am always trying to come up with creative packaging for my gifts. These little origami boxes are fast and easy to make. I found the tutorial for these on Splitcoast. This box uses a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock but if you need smaller boxes just adjust the cardstock size.

For my box I wanted a clear window to show the treats inside. To do this, I used the Spellbinders Labels One to cut out the window and also to make the green frame around the window.


For my stamped image I used several stamps from JustRite Stampers. The "Holiday Sweets For You" is from the Holiday Demi Phrases set. The "2009" & "Love The Barkhouse's" is the Times Roman 15 point font set that also comes with the 2" wood stamper & bonus flower center. Finally, the center image is from the What's Cookin' Borders & Centers set. The border image was diecut using Spellbinders Classic Circle Nestabilities and the center image was diecut using Spellbinders Petite Scallop Circle Nestabilities.

Here is the back view of my wood stamper. The 15 point font fits perfectly into the outer grooves. Because the 2" wood stamper has a double border groove, I was able to include the year as well as our family name. Without the double groove this would not have been possible because of the length of our last name.




To finish off my box, I adhered narrow strips of paper and decorative ribbon around the center
of the box and added a little bow.

The JustRite Stamp sets are so versatile and interchangeable. The Demi Phrases can be used on either the round or oval wood stampers depending on how you want your image to appear. The font sets work really well around the outer edge of the wood stampers. It makes personalizing packages and gifts very simple to do. I believe that people appreciate a personalized gift much more than store-bought packaging.

For anyone interested, here is the recipe for the peanut butter balls:

2 cups peanut butter
2 lbs confectioners sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. margarine (do not use butter)
Mix everything in a large bowl. Roll into small balls and place onto a wax covered cookie sheet. Place somewhere cold to harden the balls.
In a double-boiler, melt 1 1/2 (12 oz.) packages of chocolate bits and 1 piece of parafin wax. Dip peanut butter balls into melted mixture. Place back onto the wax covered cookie sheet. Once cooled, it is best to keep either in the refrigerator or the freezer so that they don't get too soft.
Enjoy!!!

If you are looking for more inspiration using these stamps, be sure to check out these blogs.


You will be totally amazed at their talent!!

Thanks for stopping in for a visit today. Please stop in again tomorrow for more inspiration.

Supplies:


Paper: Cosmo Cricket

Ink: Brilliance Cosmic Copper, Brilliance Pearlescent Ivy

Accessories: Spellbinders Labels One, Classic Circles, Classic Scallop Circles, Holiday Trim, pop dot, acetate

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I was going to ask for the recipe but you were one step ahead of me! Thanks! ~Kathy Walker

Kathy Jones said...

This is wonderful!!! What a fabulous gift idea and the peanut butter balls sound delicious!!!

Lisa Somerville said...

What a great gift idea!

Sharon Harnist said...

OMGosh, my Mom used to always make peanut butter balls, too, Angela! I haven't had them in years but think they'll definitely be on my list now this year -- thanks for the reminder! Your box is beautiful -- love the die cut acetate window and the custom label is gorgeous! What a great combination of stamps!

Linda Beeson said...

Well, I want some of those peanut butter balls but LOVE your project!

Barbara Schram said...

LOVE the acetate lid on your box! Great job. My mouth is watering after reading that recipe! Awesome, Angela!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

What a gorgeous box for what I am sure and delish Peanut Butter Balls! They sound wonderful!!! Your projects is totally FAB!!!!

Heidi Blankenship said...

What a Beautiful box! Angela, I love how you made that acetate window to be able to see the goodies inside! I love the designer paper you used too! I haven't made Peanut Butter Balls in a couple of years but I think I will have to put that on the list. They are so yummy!

Christine said...

Lovely box. Aren't traditions fun; especially when they involve food!

Blessings,
Christine

shirlann said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe...what brand of peanut butter do you use? It's usually why they turn out so well!

Unknown said...

Shirlann - I use Jiff Creamy peanut butter. I also use the semi sweet chocolate chips too. I have been told they are better than the milk chocolate. I don't really know because I don't eat these

Thanks for the questions
Angela